The Nikon D5 raises the bar for FX performance, the most powerful digital SLR flagship in the Nikon line up, and leads the pack with unmatched speed and precision!
The new Nikon D5 is an amazing FX format flagship digital SLR camera that challenges photographers to outperform their highest standards, and set new benchmarks for speed, accuracy and image quality!
Expanding the possibilities of image capture for professional photographers, the new Nikon D5
places the needs of the professional at the center of innovation with features that enable smooth and reliable responsiveness to a wide variety of scenes and subjects!
From the refined acquisition of subjects in motion, to 4K video in UHD, the Nikon D5 creates opportunities for dauntless photographers working in demanding shooting environments to push their gear to new limits.
With a next generation AF system the intelligent and versatile tracking of moving subjects enables the richness and realism of every split second moment to be captured.The Nikon D5 boasts a wide range of ISO sensitivity up to 102,400, expandable to Hi 5. The most expanded sensitivity range in Nikon history, for astronomical twilight with minimum illumination, capturing details and colors beyond the limits of the human eye.
“The Nikon D5 is not just about technical excellence, but the marriage of elegant technologies. Speed and refined image quality have never converged so extensively, making it truly the camera that the industry has been waiting for,” said Tadashi Nakayama, Corporate Vice President, Sector Manager of Marketing Sector, Imaging Business Unit. “The Nikon D5 represents what we are trying to do for the entire digital SLR category: Bringing technologies together to meet and anticipate the demands of professional photographers, empowering them to push the boundaries of their craft.”
The Pinnacle of Digital SLR Engineering for Professionals
The Nikon D5 enables the precise capture of subjects under the most demanding conditions with a new generation 153 point AF system and a stable viewfinder image that makes tracking moving subjects easy, even during high speed continuous shooting at approximately 12 fps, making the camera ideal for photojournalists capturing heart racing sporting action and majestic animal migrations!
Image quality is further enhanced by the pairing of the new Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor and the brand new EXPEED 5 image processing engine, for the most vibrant, true to life colors and sumptuous details.
Together with the highest standard ISO sensitivity in Nikon history, up to 102,400 photographers are liberated from the challenges of shooting in low light environments whether covering evening events or shooting indoors.
In another first for the FX format range, the Nikon D5 takes movie making to new cinematic heights with the ability to shoot in 4K UHD 2160/30p format, in line with the increasing appetite from professionals for the production of high quality video content.
Convenient Connectivity, Simplified Workflows
In addition, new and improved features and functions such as a high resolution touch screen LCD monitor, faster wired networks (via built-in Ethernet connector) and wireless networks (when used with WT-6 Wireless Transmitter), and double memory card slots.
The Nikon D5 digital camera is available in two versions, one that uses two XQD cards and one that uses two Compact Flash cards that use the same type of media, to simplify and speed up the professional photographer’s workflow, while placing the Nikon D5 in the center of the connected ecosystem for visual communication!
Designed for the Field and the Studio
The Nikon D5’s Advanced Scene Recognition System, which has adopted a new 180k pixel RGB sensor, contributes to greater AF, AE, and AWB performance. This, along with a design that consumes less power and adoption of a highly precise and durable shutter, ensures durability, and gives photographers greater control over their gear as well as image quality.
The Nikon D5 also completely integrates into any professional photographer’s comprehensive ecosystem of Nikon accessories. Compatibility with the new Nikon Creative Lighting System functions, radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL) and unified flash control, all work to ensure the production of superlative image quality and a seamless studio workflow (when used with Speedlight SB 5000).
1. Next generation Intelligent AF System! The entire AF system has been completely re-vamped with adoption of the Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module. This sensor module offers 153 focus points (99 of which are cross type sensors) for broad and dense coverage of the entire image area.
The center focus point has a detection range beginning at an incredible -4 EV, and detection with other focus points begins at -3 EV, enabling autofocusing even under extremely dim lighting, and with subjects exhibiting very low contrast. In addition, equipping the camera with a dedicated AF engine capable of high-speed calculation and collaboration with the 180K-pixel RGB sensor have ensured that extremely reliable AF performance is demonstrated with a variety of scenes.
2. High speed continuous shooting at approximately 12 fps with swift subject tracking. The Nikon D5 is capable of high speed continuous shooting at approximately 12 fps in all image quality modes and at all ISO sensitivity settings. What’s more, adoption of a new mirror drive mechanism achieves a more stable view finder image that makes continuous tracking of rapidly moving subjects easy, even with high speed continuous shooting.
3. Exceptional ISO sensitivity Collaboration between the new Nikon FX format CMOS sensor and the new EXPEED 5 image processing engine, both developed by Nikon, have enabled the highest standard ISO sensitivity in Nikon history, that of ISO 102400! High sensitivity image quality at these never before seen levels achieves superior imaging quality, even within the high ISO 3200 to 12800 range often used with sports photography and the like.
In addition, the image sensor’s broad dynamic range enables rich and natural expression of tones for accurate reproduction of the finest details, even with extremely vivid subjects with which the expression of textures is especially difficult.
4. Cinematic brilliance with 4K UHD movie capability. The Nikon D5 supports movie creation in 4K, which offers a resolution higher than HD or full HD movies, an indispensable feature for professionals involved in film making and video content creation.
High resolution 4K UHD, 24p movies can be recorded to a memory card inserted in the camera, or, with simultaneous HDMI output, they can be displayed on an external monitor or recorded as uncompressed video to an external recorder. With support for the maximum standard sensitivity of ISO 102400, as well as even higher sensitivity settings up to Hi 5, even movies recorded at these high sensitivities will exhibit superior picture quality. 4K UHD time lapse movies can also be generated in camera!
5. Improved functionality and streamlined workflows, a high resolution 3.2 inch, approximately 2,359k dot touch screen LCD monitor. Adoption of a touch screen for the display monitor enables nimble confirmation and high speed navigation of a large number of images using a frame advance bar, and supports an efficient workflow with text input and the like.
The large 3.2 inch, high resolution monitor enables extremely clear display with live view photography, even when the display is enlarged, for fast focus confirmation!
Connect through wired and wireless networks! The communications system has been significantly improved to support communications twice as fast, with both wired networks using the Ethernet connector built into the Nikon D5, and wireless networks when the new Wireless Transmitter WT-6/A/B/C (available separately) is used with the Nikon D5.
6. Versatile image storage options! When connected to the Nikon D5, the high speed transfer of image data to a computer, or an FTP server over a wireless network is possible. The maximum range is approximately 200 m!
Wireless control over the camera from a computer is also possible using Camera Control Pro 2 (available separately). A Nikon D5 to which a WT-6/A/B/C is connected may be used as a wireless LAN access point, and a direct connection to a computer or smartphone is also achievable!
I would like to personally thank you for reading my post on the new Nikon D5 digital camera! Please feel free to leave me a comment below. If there is a specific Nikon Digital Camera your looking for but can’t find, leave me a comment below and I will do my best to find it for you. Thanks Again!